Current job vacancies at European Union (EU)
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between many European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid, and working with global organizations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS works closely with the national, regional, and local authorities as well as other foreign missions. The EU Delegation also represents the European Union to the ECOWAS Commission and oversees the implementation of a major part of the Regional Indicative Programme for the West African region. There is a need for substantial and well-qualified staff at the Delegation to perform a number of tasks, including the administration of vast development cooperation programs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Budget / Accounting Assistant in Finance, Contract and Audit Section
Reference: Job Number 87568 – DEVCO
Section: Finance, Contract and Audit
Job Type: Full Time
- The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity
- Additional cross-cutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs, and organized crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role of democratic processes, and supporting a greater role for civil society.
- We offer a post as Budget / Accounting Assistant in the section finance, contract, and audit
- The section is responsible for the financial management of projects and programs funded by the European Union
- The candidate – Local Agent LA2 – will work full time in a multicultural and multinational environment at the premises of the EU Delegation in Abuja, Nigeria
- We expect a candidate with an understanding of financial management principles, with a high level of personal integrity, able to work under strict deadlines and able to cope with a significant workload within a team.
- Under this job function, the successful candidates will serve as technical and support staff to carry out day to day finance and contract management of EU funded projects under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of the section.
- To assist in the contractual and financial management of projects and programs funded by the European Union, in particular with tender procedures, calls for proposals, contracts, payments, and follow-up of audit matters
- To advise operational sections and beneficiaries/contractors in contractual, financial, and audit matters.
Functions and Duties
Under the supervision of the Head of Section, the responsibilities are the following:
- Applying sound financial management in financial cooperation programs and projects.
- Control and initiation of financial transactions.
- Registration in databases
- Financial reporting
- Financial and accounting statistics using the relevant databases.
- Liaise with the operational sections.
- Assist in audit activities
- Assistance with financial decisions.
- Follow-up of procurement and grant procedures.
- Analysis of draft contracts, riders.
- General management of the contracts.
- Ensuring analysis of invoices, proper preparation, and execution of payment orders.
- Take part in field missions to monitor the projects.
Education and Training:
- A University Degree would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years proven working experience (preferably within an international organization or an entity dealing with development aid and projects) giving support in the fields of economics, finance/accountancy, or administration
- Experience with financial procedures of EC is considered an asset.
- Ability to interpret financial data at an intermediate level and a high degree of numeracy.
- Capacity to deliver in a structured way.
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialized information.
- Ability to work in a proactive, autonomous, and organized way.
- Capacity to work in a team.
- Critical Analysis
- Flexibility (openness towards new demands, new technologies, new cultures, etc)
- Initiative / Self-starter
- Inquiring mind.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- We offer a competitive position in an international environment
- Benefits, such as a pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with the relevant salary scale depending on years of relevant professional experience.
see also: Current job vacancies at Genesis Cinemas
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications, which should consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae ( each, 2 pages maximum). These documents should be sent by email to the attention of “Head of Administration” to firstname.lastname@example.org The Application should clearly state the title of the post and job number on the subject “Financial Assistant in Finance, Contract and Audit Section. Job No 87568-DEVCO”.
Click here for more information
- Applications without any reference to the post and job number will not be considered.
- Applications received after the deadline stated above or not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected
Application Deadline 18th February 2020.